Hatson Airfield, Orkney, circa 1941
Framed (ref: 46)
Oil on paper
15 x 40 in. (38.1 x 101.6 cm.)
Tags: Charles Cundall oil maritime transport war Charles Cundall
Provenance: the artist's wife, Jaqueline Pieterson
The painting depicts Hurricanes and Albacores at the Joint Fleet Air Arm and RAF base at Hatson on mainland Orkney. The spire of St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall, is visible in the background. Hurricanes were situated in most ports in the early years of the War to provide Defence Flights. They were also sometimes used by the Navy for Catapult Armed Merchantmen - CAM. The Albacore, introduced in 1939 to replace the Swordfish, served as a Fleet Air Arm Torpedo-spotter-reconnaissance biplane.
We are grateful to Andrew Cormack (RAF Hendon), David C. Reid (Dumfries and Galloway Aviation Museum) and Peter Till for assistance.